Monday, March 19, 2012

Reset, Restart, Renew...or face Burnout

I have been noticing a disturbing trend among students. We push harder and expect more, we test more but we refresh and renew less.  This is evident by more students dropping out, more students failing classes and increased reassessments of students.  Could it be that we do not allow students to restart or renew or reset themselves?  I think that may be the case.

I have been noticing this with my own students.  Many have "checked out" and spring break is three weeks away.  They have checked out by not doing work, showing up late to class or just not showing up at all.  When asked what's going on, I have have heard, "It's too much" or "My brain is tired" or " My electives are harder than my core classes".  As Educators we restart, reset or renew when we move to a new unit.  Students may have this when they have mid-terms, finals or the start of a new semester or trimester.  What are somethings that you do as an educator that allow your students to reset, restart or renew to avoid burnout?

0 comments:

Post a Comment